Program Pathways are a series of courses and experiences carefully selected to help you earn your credential and prepare for your career or university transfer. Program Pathway Maps guide you through quarter-by-quarter coursework, indicate when you’ll need to complete important steps, and describe popular careers in this pathway. Some course sequences or recommended courses can be customized or adjusted by speaking with an advisor.
Two-year transfer degrees let you take your freshman and sophomore classes at Seattle Colleges for a fraction of the cost, and then transfer to a four-year university with the skills and confidence to succeed. Be sure to work with a transfer advisor at Seattle Colleges and the four-year institution you plan to attend. Depending on your program of study, you can earn either an Associate of Arts (AA-DTA), Associate in Business (AB-DTA), or Associate of Science (AS), Track 1 or Track 2.
- Units to complete: 90
- Estimated program length in quarters: Full Time - 6 | Part Time - 9
Program lengths are estimates, not guarantees. For the most current program information, please check with the program contact.
Music Training to Suit Your Goals
Begin or deepen your musical exploration at North’s Music Department. The department offers a variety of courses for students from all musical backgrounds to fulfill a variety of goals.
If you are beginning a career in music, pursuing music as a hobby or fulfilling general education requirements, North has a diverse list of courses from which to choose. Some courses are offered both on campus and online.
History & Appreciation
- Music Appreciation (a look at classical music, the society in which it was created and its impact on modern life)
- Introduction to World Music (a tour of traditional musical styles from around the world)
- Music in the United States (an exploration of the many American musical genres, their roots and influences)
Reading & Writing Music
- Music Fundamentals (the basics of musical notation and simple composition in one quarter)
Performance Opportunities & Individual Instruction
North is the only college in the Seattle Colleges District to offer large-ensemble performance opportunities in both vocal and instrumental music.
Students may participate in College Choir or Symphonic Band and may also audition for Jazz Band:
- College Choir, with 60-70 singers of all backgrounds and experience, presents a musically-themed concert each quarter.
- In Seattle Symphonic Band, King County and student musicians combine to perform traditional concert band music and chamber music in quarterly concerts.
- Jazz Ensemble, offered through Community Education, is an auditioned ensemble comprised of community members and students performing big band jazz.
Learn to play an instrument through private lessons from instructors who are well-respected, working musicians. Individual instruction on most instruments is available for college credit.