Music Training to Suit Your Goals
Begin or deepen your musical exploration at North’s Music Department. The department offers a variety of courses for students from all musical backgrounds to fulfill a variety of goals.
If you are beginning a career in music, pursuing music as a hobby or fulfilling general education requirements, North has a diverse list of courses from which to choose. Some courses are offered both on campus and online.
• Music Appreciation (a look at classical music, the society in which it was created and its impact on modern life)
• Introduction to World Music (a tour of traditional musical styles from around the world)
• Music in the United States (an exploration of the many American musical genres, their roots and influences)
• Music Fundamentals (the basics of musical notation and simple composition in one quarter)
Music students have access to a new computer lab and music theory software designed to reinforce skills taught in class. Music writing software allows you to create your own musical compositions and hear how your work sounds.
North is the only college in the Seattle Colleges District to offer large-ensemble performance opportunities in both vocal and instrumental music.
Students may participate in College Choir or Symphonic Band and may also audition for Jazz Band:
• College Choir, with 60-70 singers of all backgrounds and experience, presents a musically-themed concert each quarter.
• In Seattle Symphonic Band, King County and student musicians combine to perform traditional concert band music and chamber music in quarterly concerts.
• Jazz Ensemble, offered through Community Education, is an auditioned ensemble comprised of community members and students performing big band jazz.
Learn to play an instrument through private lessons from instructors who are well-respected, working musicians. Individual instruction on most instruments is available for college credit.