During NSC campus closure due to COVID-19, Running Start advisors will still be available for scheduled appointments through both Zoom and phone. You can schedule an appointment with your advisor by logging into Starfish, by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org or calling our office at (206) 934-7768.
Please note, effective Nov. 6, Student Services offices will be closed on Fridays at noon for ctcLink statewide technology conversion training.
Running Start is a program that allows 11th and 12th grade students enrolled in a WA State public high school to take college courses at Washington's 34 community and technical colleges. Students earn both high school and college credits for these courses.
Running Start students and their families do not pay tuition. They are responsible for mandatory fees, books and transportation. Students receive both high school and college credit for these classes.
Interested in applying to North’s Running Start program? Please review the information on the “Prospective Students” tab regarding eligibility and application processes.
Interested in Joining Running Start for Fall 2021?
Our priority application date for fall quarter 2021 is May 3rd. Applications will be available on our website in mid-March.
Join the Running Start Manager, Christina Sheehan, and the Running Start Advisor, Katy Foster, at one of our info sessions where we will review our program, eligibility requirements, and provide step-by-step application instructions. There will also be time for question and answer. Please click here to RSVP and receive the Zoom link.
- Monday, March 22: 4 – 5 p.m.
- Wednesday, March 31: 6 – 7 p.m.
- Tuesday, April 13: 6 – 7 p.m.
- Friday, April 23: 12 – 1 p.m.
- Wednesday, April 28: 2 – 3 p.m.
- Thursday, May 6: 6 – 7 p.m.
- Friday, May 14: 3 – 4 p.m.
- Must be a WA public high school student
- Able to demonstrate eligibility for either college-level English or college-level math
(see “placement testing” for details)
- Junior or senior standing
- Applications are now being accepted for spring quarter 2021. We continue accepting applications through the start of spring quarter on April 5. Class availability and choice may be limited if students apply post-March.
- We are currently accepting application for fall quarter 2021. The priority deadline for fall quarter 2021 is May 3. We continue accepting application through the start of fall quarter, however class availability and selection may be limited.
How to Apply
- Apply online to be a student at North Seattle College
- Step-by-step instructions for online application available here
- Complete the Running Start Application Packet
- Note: The Running Start application packet requires a high school counselor to fill out a portion of the Enrollment Verification Form. You should contact your high school counselor via email to let them know you’re applying to Running Start. Your high school counselor will work with you to fill out the Enrollment Verification Form and will sign electronically.
- Additional application information regarding placement, high school equivalency, and college map available here.
- Submit the Running Start application to email@example.com.
- *Students with 504 or IEP accommodations at the high school may qualify for accommodations at North Seattle College. Please contact our Disability Services office for more information at: firstname.lastname@example.org or 206-934-3697
- Please see additional application information for the multiple ways a Running Start applicant can demonstrate college-level English or college-level math eligibility.
- Placement testing is available online for both math and English.
- ENGLISH SELF-DIRECTED PLACEMENT: to take the test, you must have a student ID number (provided when you have applied to North Seattle College). Email your request to take the placement test(s) with your ID number and full name to email@example.com. The testing center will then provide further directions on how to access the tests. This process can take 2 business days, so please plan appropriately.
- The English placement test is a self-reflective tool that helps the student assess which English class would be the best fit for their academic ability
- MATH PLACEMENT TESTING: You can take the math placement test online following these directions. Include a copy of your test results with your Running Start application as we aren’t able to view results from the math placement test internally.
I’ve Applied! How Do I Register for Classes?
- Your application will be reviewed and you will receive an email response from our office within 48 business hours
- If your application is incomplete, a staff member from our office will request additional information from you
- If your application is complete, you will be contacted to schedule an appointment with an advisor who will help you register for classes.
How to Contact Us
North Seattle College is operating remotely. We’re still here to help you despite not being located on-campus! We’re happy to schedule a Zoom or phone appointment – please contact us via email or Starfish to schedule.
Contact a Running Start Advisor
Phone: (206) 934-7768 or (206) 934-3368
Schedule an appointment via Starfish:
Our typical office hours are Monday – Friday, 8 – 4:30pm. If you need to schedule an appointment outside of these office hours, please email us and we will work with you individually to schedule an appointment at a time that is convenient for you.