During NSC campus closure due to COVID-19, Running Start advisors will still be available for scheduled appointments through both Zoom and phone. You can schedule an appointment with your advisor by logging into Starfish, by emailing email@example.com or calling our office at (206) 934-7768.
Please note, effective Nov. 6, Student Services offices will be closed on Fridays at noon for ctcLink statewide technology conversion training.
Running Start is a program that allows 11th and 12th grade students enrolled in a WA State public high school to take college courses at Washington's 34 community and technical colleges. Students earn both high school and college credits for these courses.
Running Start students and their families do not pay tuition. They are responsible for mandatory fees, books and transportation. Students receive both high school and college credit for these classes.
Interested in applying to North’s Running Start program? Please review the information on the “Prospective Students” tab regarding eligibility and application processes.
We're Still Accepting Applications for Fall Quarter Enrollment!
Fall Quarter 2021 Information
- We're still accepting applications for fall quarter 2021. It's not too late to apply!
- We will continue to accept applications and help students enroll until fall quarter begins on Monday, September 27
- The majority of courses for fall quarter at North Seattle College are still being offered in an online format
Running Start Drop-In Sessions
Running Start drop-in sessions are open to current or prospective students. We’re happy to help answer questions or help continuing students register during these sessions. Please note that the first week of the quarter is a busy time for our office and there maybe a waiting period before the next available advisor can see you – we appreciate your patience!
No appointment necessary; just drop-in virtually by clicking the Zoom link below or visit us on-campus for support. If you are coming on-campus, please follow the health and safety protocols and campus entry requirements available here. Masks are required.
In-Person Drop-In Sessions at North Seattle College: 2nd floor of the College Center
- Tuesday, September 21: 10 – 2pm
- Tuesday, September 28: 10 – 2pm
- Wednesday, September 29: 10 – 2pm
Virtual Drop-In Sessions via Zoom
- Tuesday, September 21: 10 – 2pm
- Friday, September 24: 10 – 2pm
- Monday, September 27 – Thursday, September 30: 10 – 2pm
- Zoom link for drop-in sessions
Learn More About Our Program
Watch the video below to learn more about Running Start; what to expect as a student and how to apply to the program
- Must be a WA public high school student
- Able to demonstrate eligibility for either college-level English or college-level math (see “placement testing” for details)
- Junior or senior standing
How to Apply
- Apply online to be a student at North Seattle College
- Step-by-step instructions for online application available here
- Complete the Running Start Application Packet
- Note: The Running Start application packet requires a high school counselor to fill out a portion of the Enrollment Verification Form. You should contact your high school counselor via email to let them know you’re applying to Running Start. Your high school counselor will work with you to fill out the Enrollment Verification Form and will sign electronically.
- Additional application information regarding placement, high school equivalency, and college map available here.
- Submit the Running Start application to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- *Students with 504 or IEP accommodations at the high school may qualify for accommodations at North Seattle College. Please contact our Disability Services office for more information at: email@example.com or 206-934-3697
- Please see additional application information for the multiple ways a Running Start applicant can demonstrate college-level English or college-level math eligibility.
- Placement testing is available online for both math and English.
- ENGLISH SELF-DIRECTED PLACEMENT: to take the test, you must have a student ID number (provided when you have applied to North Seattle College). Email your request to take the placement test(s) with your ID number and full name to firstname.lastname@example.org. The testing center will then provide further directions on how to access the tests. This process can take 2 business days, so please plan appropriately.
- The English placement test is a self-reflective tool that helps the student assess which English class would be the best fit for their academic ability
- MATH PLACEMENT TESTING: You can take the math placement test online following these directions. Include a copy of your test results with your Running Start application as we aren’t able to view results from the math placement test internally.
I’ve Applied! How Do I Register for Classes?
- Your application will be reviewed and you will receive an email response from our office within 48 business hours
- If your application is incomplete, a staff member from our office will request additional information from you
- If your application is complete, you will be contacted to schedule an appointment with an advisor who will help you register for classes.
How to Contact Us
North Seattle College is operating remotely. We’re still here to help you despite not being located on-campus! We’re happy to schedule a Zoom or phone appointment – please contact us via email or Starfish to schedule.
Contact a Running Start Advisor
Phone: (206) 934-7768 or (206) 934-3682
Schedule an appointment via Starfish:
Our typical office hours are Monday – Friday, 8 – 4:30pm. If you need to schedule an appointment outside of these office hours, please email us and we will work with you individually to schedule an appointment at a time that is convenient for you.