Disability Services

Application of Accommodations

Complaints & Grievance Procedures

Disability Services (DS) is available to help students by mediating problematic issues. Because many problems are a result of misunderstandings, DS is often able to assist in resolving complaints or misunderstandings quickly. DS can also appropriately refer students to other offices or individuals who can assist with resolution. Students are welcome to contact the DS Director if they are having difficulties or have a complaint about the DS office. You can visit the DS office within Student Success Services on the second floor of the College Center building, or call (206) 934-3697.

Informal Complaint Process

  1. If you have a complaint, first talk directly with the college employee.
  2. If this does not provide a satisfactory result, the next step is to discuss your complaint with the employee’s immediate supervisor. The supervisor has five days to notify the employee in writing of the complaint.
  3. Investigation/Fact-Finding – The supervisor or dean will then conduct an investigation to determine facts around the complaint and has 15 additional days to resolve the complaint.

It is essential that you provide the following information:

  • The facts or evidence surrounding your complaint
  • What you have done to try to resolve the complaint
  • Your proposed resolution to the complaint If you are unable to resolve your complaint informally, you may file a Formal Complaint.

Formal Complaint Process

Step 1: Filing the Complaint
If you have a complaint, you must file a formal complaint in writing within 90 days of when you (the complainant) knew or reasonably should have known that you had cause for a complaint. You must specify the facts and other grounds on which the complaint is based, attach relevant supporting documents, and forward them to the Complaints Officer.

Step 2: The Respondent Has Opportunity to Reply
The grievance officer will send a copy of the formal complaint to the respondent and supervisor within five days of receipt of your complaint. The respondent is required to reply in writing to the grievance officer within 15 calendar days of the formal complaint.

Please note that faculty members are usually not available during periods when the college is not in session.

Step 3: Opportunity to Resolve
The grievance officer will forward the respondent’s written reply to you within five calendar days of receiving it. If you, the complainant, find the response is unsatisfactory, you may submit written notice of your dissatisfaction to the grievance officer within five days of your receipt of the notice.

Step 4: Resolution Conference
Within five days of the receipt of your notice that the response is unsatisfactory, the grievance officer will schedule a conference. This conference will include you, the respondent, and the respondent’s supervisor. It will be held within the next 15 days. The intent of this conference is to reach a resolution. The grievance officer will provide a written summary to all attendees within 10 days.

Step 5: Appealing the Result
If you believe your complaint has not been resolved to your satisfaction, you may request action from the appropriate vice president. You can file an appeal within five days with the grievance officer, who will forward it to the appropriate vice president.


Inquiries regarding compliance and/or grievance procedures and disability support services may be directed to the college’s Human Resources Director who serves as Title IX/RCW 28A.640 officer and Section 504/ADA coordinator.

If your complaint/grievance remains unresolved to your satisfaction after following the college’s informal and formal grievance procedures, the organizations listed below can also assist with mediation or filing a complaint:

Washington State Human Rights Commission

Office for Civil Rights Central Building
810 3rd Avenue, Suite 750
Seattle, WA 98104-1627

By telephone:
Voice: 206.684.4500
TTY: 206.684.4503
Fax: 206.684.0332
Website: https://www.seattle.gov/civil-rights