State Financial Aid for DREAMers

The Financial Aid Team is here to help with any questions you may have on our forms or any step in the financial aid process. We are currently open for drop-in appointments on Tuesday between 10am – 2pm.

Need assistance outside of those hours or want to connect with us remotely?  Check out the Student Services Virtual & On-Campus offerings.

On February 26, 2014, Governor Jay Inslee signed into law the REAL Hope Act (SB6523), also known as the Washington Dream Act. Beginning with the 2014-15 academic year, this new law expands eligibility for the Washington College Grant to non-citizens who meet the program’s eligibility requirements in addition to all three residency criteria listed below:

  1. Have graduated from a Washington state high school or obtained a GED®
  2. Have lived in Washington state for three (3) years prior to, and continuously since, earning the high school diploma or equivalent
  3. Sign an affidavit (written promise) to file an application to become a permanent resident of the United States when eligible to apply.  Students granted deferred action for childhood arrival (DACA) must also complete and sign the affidavit.

The Washington Student Achievement Council (WSAC) has developed a state application for students who are unable to complete a FAFSA due to immigration status. This free application—known as the Washington Application for State Financial Aid (WASFA)—is available for students to complete online at

Verify that the NSC Residency Coordinator has received your HB 1079 residency affidavit (email, or download, complete and file the residency affidavit with the NSC Admissions/Registration Office.

START New Student Orientation provides an overview of programs and services, the registration process, and gives you a chance to meet with an advisor to plan your schedule. START Orientation schedules and on-line orientations are available on the NSC Advising website.

Note: Eligibility for state grant aid does not guarantee an award, as the grants are awarded on a funds-available basis. The sooner you complete an application, the better chance you have for consideration of limited state grant aid funds.

How Often to Apply

Students who meet the eligibility requirements for REAL Hope should plan on completing a WASFA each academic year they are in college. The NSC Financial Aid office maintains priority deadlines for funding at Students do not need to submit a new residency affidavit each year.