Contact (206) 934-3787 to see if you qualify for free tuition as a Vulnerable Worker.
The Worker Retraining program provides funding for laid-off and dislocated workers who need training in order to return to the workforce. Training options include career training programs (certificates and AAS degrees), GED, high school completion, and English as a Second Language classes.
If you qualify, you may receive funding for your tuition. Textbook assistance may also be available. Worker Retraining students get priority registration.
Expanded Eligibility for Vulnerable Workers
You may be eligible for Worker Retraining if you are currently working and meet two of the three criteria below:
- • You are employed in an occupation that is “not in demand” according to the demand/decline list for your county. To check the demand-decline lists, go to: fortress.wa.gov/esd/employmentdata/reports-publications/occupational-reports/occupations-in-demand
- • No college degree or certificate in current coursework and have completed less than 45 college credits.
- • You need to learn new skills in order to keep your job.
If you believe you may be eligible for Worker Retraining as a Vulnerable Worker, please contact Program Specialist Cindy Donohue at (206) 934-6063 to get started. You do not need to complete the Start Next Quarter survey.
You may be eligible for Worker Retraining if you meet one of the following criteria:
- • You have received a lay-off notice and will be eligible to receive Unemployment Insurance benefits.
- • You or your spouse* are currently receiving Unemployment Insurance benefits.
- • You have exhausted Unemployment Insurance benefits within the past four years and are still unemployed or underemployed.
- • You have closed down your own business within the last two years due to the economic downturn and are currently unemployed.
- • You are a displaced homemaker with low-income due to an event that occurred within the past four years, such as a divorce, separation, or death of your spouse/partner.
- • You have separated from the U.S. Armed Services within the past four years.
- • You are an active duty military member and have received a separation order.
- • You lost employment or experienced a reduction in employment due to a natural disaster.
Take the Start Next Quarter survey to find out if you pre-qualify for Worker Retraining and/or the other Workforce Education tuition assistance programs.
*Note: If you are the spouse of an individual receiving Unemployment Insurance benefits and are seeking tuition assistance for yourself, please call Cindy Donohue at (206) 934-6063 to get started. You do not need to complete the Start Next Quarter survey.
- Telephone: (206) 934-3787
- Fax: (206) 934-0175
- View Office Hours
- Department Office:
- Opportunity Center for Employment & Education, Room 240
- Mailing Address:
- Workforce Education
- North Seattle College
- 9600 College Way North
- Seattle, WA 98103-3599
- OC0240A (OCEE Building, on the second floor.)