Worker Retraining eligibility has expanded due to COVID-19 related changes in unemployment insurance eligibility. Please see the attached flyer for information about these changes.
The Worker Retraining program provides funding for laid-off and dislocated workers who need training in order to return to the workforce. Training options include career training programs (certificates and AAS degrees), GED, high school completion, and English as a Second Language classes.
If you qualify, you may receive funding for your tuition. Textbook assistance may also be available. Worker Retraining students get priority registration.
- You have received a lay-off notice and will be eligible to receive Unemployment Insurance benefits.
- You or your spouse* are currently receiving Unemployment Insurance benefits.
- You have exhausted Unemployment Insurance benefits within the past four years and are still unemployed or underemployed.
- You have closed down your own business within the last two years due to the economic downturn and are currently unemployed.
- You are a displaced homemaker with low-income due to an event that occurred within the past four years, such as a divorce, separation, or death of your spouse/partner.
- You have separated from the U.S. Armed Services within the past four years.
- You are an active duty military member and have received a separation order.
- You lost employment or experienced a reduction in employment due to a natural disaster.
- You meet the criteria as a vulnerable worker because you are employed in a declining demand occupation.
Take the Start Next Quarter survey to find out if you pre-qualify for Worker Retraining and/or the other Workforce Education tuition assistance programs.
*Note: If you are the spouse of an individual receiving Unemployment Insurance benefits and are seeking tuition assistance for yourself, please contact the Workforce Education Office at (206) 934-3787 to get started. You do not need to complete the Start Next Quarter survey.
Telephone: (206) 934-3787
Fax: (206) 934-0175
View Office Hours
Opportunity Center for Employment & Education, Room 240
North Seattle College
9600 College Way North
Seattle, WA 98103-3599
OC0240A (OCEE Building, on the second floor.)