Basic Food Employment & Training (BFET)

The Basic Food Employment and Training program provides tuition, fees, required textbook and transportation funding for recipients of federal food assistance (Basic Food or SNAP) to  increase employment opportunities. In order to qualify for the BFET program, you must enroll in an eligible training program and meet the eligibility criteria.

Do I qualify for BFET?

  • You receive federal food assistance known as Basic Food or SNAP from DSHS and not receiving Temporary Assistance for Needy Families (TANF) or cash assistance from DSHS
  • You are able to work and intend to obtain employment after completion of training

How do I apply for BFET?

Check your BFET funding eligibility by taking the Start Next Quarter Survey. If you prequalify for funding you will receive a message inviting you to complete the online Workforce Education Funding Application.

Complete and submit the online Workforce Education Funding Application. For more information about our application process, please see Frequently Asked Questions.



BFET General Questions

There are two types of food assistance: federal food assistance and state food assistance. The Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (SNAP) and the Basic Food/Basic Food Assistance (BFA) program in Washington are federal programs; the State Food Assistance Program (FAP) is a state program. BFET can only provide funding assistance to students who are receiving federal food assistance.

You can only have BFET funding open at one school at a time. If you are transferring from one school to another, please talk to your BFET representative and the BFET representative at the school that you wish to transfer to, in order to determine the next steps for enrollment.

Yes. BFET can help you keep your food assistance open. It may also help with funding gaps. For example, financial aid may have awarded you enough money to pay for tuition but not enough to cover textbooks and a bus pass. BFET may be able to help pay for your required textbooks and transportation – therefore filling that funding gap.

Questions? Please contact BFET Specialist:

Hayley Smith
(206) 934-6101*
*Please leave voicemail that includes name, phone number and ctcLink ID (EMPLID) (if available)