DoD TA Quick Start Guide

Are you an Active Duty Service Member planning to use Department of Defense Tuition Assistance programs?

As a student, you have several steps to complete before enrolling, use the guide below to ensure all steps are completed for a successful quarter. Please note that you must meet with the Veterans & Military Services Office after talking to your unit’s Educational Service Officer.

  • Speak with your Educational Services Officer (ESO) or counselor within your unit prior to enrolling in classes. Your ESO (or ERO) will assist you in navigating the TA application process. They will help you to correctly submit your request through your chain of command and the associated DoD education portal of your specific branch of service.
  • Complete and Submit your TA form – Be sure to request the current tuition rates, excluding all fees. More information on costs available at:
  • Once your TA request has been approved, submit your authorization to NSC Veterans and Military Services Office for processing.
  • In your initial advising session, you will discuss your education and career goals.  Complete a planning sheet to guide you in registering your classes every quarter for the degree/transfer program you choose. 
  • You must have an Education Plan completed with advising by your second quarter. Ask your advisor about the dates to attend an Education Plan orientation or make an appointment with advising to set up an Education Plan.
  • No prior college experience? Attend new student orientation
  • Consult the Online Schedule. To help you decide what courses to take, visit the class schedule for the most accurate and up-to-date version of the quarterly schedule.
  • Register online or in person. With your ctcLink ID number (EMPLID) and your class numbers selected from the course schedule, you are ready to register. You have two options:
    • Online registration: Go to Register/Add/Drop Classes
    • In-Person Registration: Get personal assistance at the Admissions/Registration Office on the second floor of the College Center building or use the registration kiosks available there to register online.
  • Upon registering, contact the NSC Veterans and Military Services Office immediately so we can put a tuition payment hold on your registered classes while your TA is processing.

If you are called to active duty or drill during the term, you will be allowed to drop your classes or complete the assigned coursework later as directed by Washington law per RCW 28B.10.270. Contact the Veterans and Military Service Office as soon as possible to review your options prior to deployment.


Have all official transcripts (military and college/university) sent to:

NSC Records and Transcripts
9600 College Way North
Seattle, WA 98103-3599

  • Your military transcripts can be ordered from the Joint Service Transcript link:
  • Review the Military Credit policy at:
  • This step is optional, but realize that any financial aid awarded to you may stack with your tuition assistance and/or other funding.
  • Visit the Financial Aid Website at: for additional information.

You are advised to start your financial aid application as early as possible due to processing times