Early Childhood Education

Apply Request Info

Preparation & Advancement

In Washington state, education requirements are determined by the state’s Licensing requirements, found in the WAC. For information about staff qualifications view the DCYF early learning provider page.

Individual early care and education programs may choose to require more education and experience than the minimum requirement for employment.

Childcare workers also are required to have child care basics training, first aid, CPR and HIV/AIDS training; to take a TB skin test; and to pass a criminal history and background check.


As the field professionalizes, Associate and Bachelor degrees are required by some state, city or federally funded programs, and are prefered for many high-wage jobs.