Equity & Welcome Center
Welcome to your Equity & Welcome Center!
CC1151 – first floor of the College Center building
The Equity & Welcome Center aims to identify and implement equitable strategies to end all racial and other equity gaps at North.
The President’s Cabinet, students, faculty, staff and community stakeholders came together in 2018 to develop the framework for the historic Equity & Welcome Center at North.
The framework supports and advocates for the success of diverse and historically underserved communities on the NSC campus.
This includes communities from all cultures, ages, religious beliefs, races/ethnicities, sizes, gender identities, abilities, qualities, sexual affiliations, socioeconomic classes, veteran status, political beliefs, and citizenship status and sovereign nations.
The Equity & Welcome Center currently offers you the following:
- Multicultural & Gender Equity Student Lounge
- Peacemaking Space
- Virtual Student Lounges
- United Way Benefits Hub
- Gender Equity & Multicultural Resources in Canvas, co-created by students and staff
- TRiO guidance, tutoring and community for low-income, first-generation and students with disabilities
- College Entry navigation help for new students
Don’t hesitate to use resources and reach out for help! No one does college alone, and you deserve to feel welcome, valued, and safe.
Attending campus events and using resources can help you feel connected and stay in college through hard times.
Here are some ideas:
- Check the college event calendar for big events and deadlines.
- Check the NSC Student Bulletin for weekly events and resources.
- Join one of the daily student lounges to talk in a small group about how your day is going.
- Attend a free workshop on finding a job
Need a tutor? Need a laptop?
North has excellent technology and tutoring services for students:
- Click here to borrow a computer and/or other technology, incl. Chromebooks.
- Click here to access the Student Learning Center, which includes tutoring for math, English and ESL.
Please reach out to Terre O’Malley at email@example.com if you need support in creating a Canvas account.
The Peacemaking Space is structured for building relationships, mediation, prayer, decision-making, respectful dialogue and conflict resolution in communities. The Peacemaking Space regards one’s self-care as very important while embodying both individual and collective wisdom in a safe environment. The origin of Peacemaking circles (space) goes back to the indigenous peoples, who sat around a circle to listen to each other about issues that were important to everyone in the community.
Equity & Welcome Center RM CC1153
Formally the college’s first Multicultural Center, this space was created in the spirit of true student activism. The college’s administration team and student leadership work together to build dedicated partnerships centered with a forces on the recruitment, completion, graduation and transfer for students of color and systemically marginalized communities. The space embraces intersectionality and believes all are welcomed.
Equity & Welcome Center Room CC1157