Emergency Assistance for Students
Applications for emergency aid are open the 2nd week of the quarter and end on the last day of the quarter. Please note, this is not CARES funding and has different eligibility criteria.
North Seattle College is proud to support students with emergency financial grants while enrolled in school. We know that unexpected expenses and emergencies can create a barrier to remaining enrolled in school and completing your program of study at North Seattle College. The Emergency Grant is intended as one-time help to provide temporary, partial relief while students connect with long term support resources. Recipients of Emergency Grant funds will be expected to participate in a follow up process. More information will be provided during the application process.
Funds are limited and not all students will receive Emergency Grant funds. If we are unable to assist you with a financial grant, we will refer you to community resources as available.
Do I qualify?
To be eligible, a student must:
- Have a recent unforeseen emergency or financial expense that may prevent you from continuing in your program
AND meet all of the following requirements:
- Enrolled in 6 or more credits for the current quarter (laptop requests only require 5 credit enrollment)
- Completing a North Seattle College degree or certificate or enrolled in ESL, GED, High School Completion or Basic & Transitional Studies Program
- Commitment to meet with a Benefits Hub Coach or Workforce Education Navigator for follow-up support and return the follow-up survey
- Technology needs
- Laptop for coursework (via referral to North’s technology loaner program)
- Bus pass
- Auto repairs / gasoline
- Medical / Dental costs
- Housing / Utilities
- Tuition and fees, if no other resource available
- Textbooks and supplies, if no other resource available
How to Get Started
- Fill out the North Seattle College Emergency Financial Grants online.
- Students will be contacted by email from a member of the emergency assistance team for next steps or if additional information is needed.
Students who receive Emergency Assistance Funding are referred to meet with a Program Specialist, United Way Benefits Hub coach or Workforce Education Navigator to receive information and referrals for income support and services.
Students are required to complete the Student Follow-up Survey.
About the North Seattle College Emergency Assistance Grant
The emergency fund is intended to be a one-time short-term solution to help students while they are connecting with long-term support resources. Long-term supports include things like:
- Financial aid through the FAFSA or WASFA. The Financial Aid team is here to help you through the application process!
- Funding through the Workforce Education Office . Complete this quick survey to see if you prequalify for funding or contact our office more information.
- State and other community-based resources
Frequently Asked Questions
U.S. citizenship is not required to apply for this funding. Students must meet general eligibility criteria (listed above). All students experiencing a financial emergency are encouraged to apply.
Yes. Students already receiving aid may apply if they are experiencing a financial emergency and need additional financial support.
Students experiencing a financial emergency are encouraged to meet with Benefits Hub coaches for ongoing support. However, emergency grant funding is limited to one disbursement per academic year.