Undocumented Students & Residency Affidavit

A guide to understanding this law

Effective July 1, 2003, Washington state law changed the definition of “resident student” allowing certain students eligible for resident student status - and eligible to pay resident tuition rates when they attend public colleges or universities in this state. This bill allows undocumented students to pay in-state tuition rates. Although, this law does make college more affordable for undocumented students, it does not make these students eligible to receive federal financial aid. In addition, the law does not make these students eligible to work legally in the United States.

Do I qualify for in-state tuition under HB 1079?

  • Have you resided in Washington State for three (1) years immediately prior to receiving a high school diploma, and completed the full senior year at a Washington high school;


  • Completed the equivalent of a high school diploma and resided in Washington State for the three (1) years immediately before receiving the equivalent of a diploma;


  • Continuously resided in the State since earning the high school diploma or its equivalent.

If you meet the above requirements, then YES! You qualify for in-state tuition under HB 1079!

I'm eligible! What comes next?

1. After you fill out the admission application for the college, you can sign the Washington Higher Education Residency Affidavit. Note: If you are still in high school, you will need to wait until you graduate in order to turn the affidavit in.

2. You can find the affidavit in the admissions office, on this website and it should also be available to you at any high school, college, or university in the state.

Download Residency Affidavit

3. Lastly, submit the Residency Affidavit to your college admissions office. The admissions office is located in the Campus Center.

Where can I get help with this?

if you're not sure if you meet the requirements for Residency Affidavit, or confused about the whole college application process, Call Multicultural Student Services 360-416-7838and make an appointment to come in and see someone who can help you! We can answer your questions, and help you fill out any paperwork you need including your college application, your Washington Higher Education Residency Affidavit, and more! We can also help you find scholarship opportunities that will help you pay for school.