Safety and Security Services
All North Seattle College employees are responsible for practicing safe work habits and for adhering to established procedures that foster a safe and secure environment. Involvement by employees at all levels is critical for the College’s goal of providing its employees with a safe, secure, and healthy workplace.
North Seattle College’s Safety and Security Specialists patrol the college grounds and provide emergency and non-emergency assistance to students, employees and visitors.
NSC Key Request Procedure
- The North Seattle College Key Authorization & Request form can be found here.
- The program or departmental dean or director completes the Key Authorization & Request form for their respective staff member(s). Master Keys require approval from a Vice-President or President.
- Scan and email the fully completed form to Safety and Security at NSCKeyRequests@seattlecolleges.edu (or send through Campus Mail Stop 3NC1252 or drop off at College Center Room 1252).
- Safety and Security staff review the form for completeness. If approved, a Work Order is created in the Megamations system by Safety and Security staff. A scanned copy is emailed to the Facilities Manager (Michael.Saunders@seattlecolleges.edu) with the work order number placed in the subject line.
- Mr. Saunders then prints both the work order and the Key Authorization & Request form and thereafter assigns the work to an NSC Maintenance staff member to issue the key(s) or cut them (if needed).
- Maintenance staff update the NSC Key Database with the new key(s) and adds the new requestor’s name. A Key Inventory list for the requestor is printed, listing all keys assigned to them. This is affixed to the work order, the Key Authorization & Request form, and the keys and delivered to Mr. Saunders.
- Mr. Saunders then requests the Safety and Security Department to pick up the completed order who then files it in a secure cabinet located in the Security office. Mr. Saunders also notifies the requestor and explains that the keys may be picked up at the Safety and Security Department (College Center Room 1252) after providing satisfactory personal identification and signing both the Key Authorization & Request form and their key inventory list.
- Safety and Security staff file and secure these documents for record-keeping.
- Staff keys issued by the program or departmental dean or director and issued to staff and then returned to the program or departmental dean or director by a staff member leaving the college shall be returned immediately to Maintenance. They shall not be handed off to another [remaining] employee. When an employee is hired for the departed staff member’s position, a new Key Request form shall be completed and requested.
- Lost keys shall be reported immediately using the NSC Lost/Stolen Key Report Form located here.
- Returned keys require completion of the NSC Key Return Form and the keys to both be turned in to the Safety and Security Department (in the College Center Building Room 1252).
Safety and Security Specialists are trained in First Aid/CPR and AED use and are qualified to provide care until formal medical professionals arrive. Safety and Security Specialists cannot provide transportation for injured persons.
In the case of a serious or life-threatening injury, first, call 911, then Safety and Security Services at (206) 934-3636. Staff who seek medical attention from a hospital or other health care provider for a work-related injury are required to complete a Labor and Industries Employee Injury Report (or the form provided by your health care provider). Staff is also required to notify their supervisor as soon as practicable about their injury.
North Seattle College Safety and Security Specialists are pleased to provide safety escorts by calling the Safety and Security Office at (206) 934-3636. You may also use any of the eight (8) Safety Call Boxes throughout campus.
Safety and Security Specialists actively patrol all parking areas to detect and deter vehicle theft, vandalism, and illegal parking. Parking rules are strictly enforced.
Lost & Found
Lost articles turned into the Safety and Security office (CC1252) can be retrieved when properly identified. Articles are held for a reasonable length of time.
In the event of a threatening situation, or a situation involving the commission of a crime, or requiring arrest, Safety and Security (and/or NSC administration) will call on the Seattle Police Department. Criminal incidents occurring on campus (e.g. murder, homicide, assault, forcible and non-forcible sex offenses, robbery, burglary, auto theft, arson, drug or alcohol offenses) will be reported to, and investigated by, the Seattle Police Department.
Access to classrooms, study areas, labs, and tutoring centers is restricted to authorized individuals only (i.e. registered students, faculty, and administrative staff). North Seattle College has a Criminal Trespass agreement with the Seattle Police Department who assists in the removal of individuals who violate the terms of the trespass warning.