The Network & Server Administration Certificate is designed for college graduates who want to specialize in Linux, Microsoft and Cisco OS configuration, management, and security. The curriculum includes information security concepts and best-practices, and industry certification (CompTIA, Microsoft, Cisco, etc.) preparation.
- Install & configure software and upgrades
- Install, configure & test network devices, servers and workstations
- Troubleshoot hardware & network problems
Many classes have prerequisites. Prerequisites are those classes that prove eligibility for entry-level classes by testing or by having satisfied prior course work. Course work earned at other institutions must be unofficially evaluated or approved by a program advisor before registering. Courses in this certificate with pre-requisites are marked with an asterisk (*).
Network & Server Administration Certificate Prerequisites:
- CompTIA A+ Certification or equivalent experience.
Note: Advanced placement testing, work experience, and transfer of credits may result in course waivers, credit transfer, and advanced placement.
|Course Number||Course Title||Credits|
|course(IT102)||Introduction to Programming||5|
|course(IT122)*||Network Operating System 1 (see note 1)||5|
|course(IT124)*||Network Operating System 2 (see note 2)||5|
|course(IT126)*||Network Operating System 3 (see note 3)||5|
|course(IT135)||Introduction to UNIX||5|
|course(IT142)*||Network Management - CISCO I (see note 4)||5|
|course(IT144)*||Network Management - CISCO II (see note 5)||5|
|course(IT146)*||Network Management - CISCO III (see note 6)||5|
1.Must have EET 131, IT 120, IT 142 or instructor permission
2. Must have IT 122 or instructor permission
3. Must have IT 122 or instructor permission
4. Must have EET 131, IT122 (may be taken concurrently) or instructor permission
5. Must have IT 142 or instructor permission
6. Must have IT 142, IT 144, or instructor permission
This program of study is outlined by quarter, and courses should be taken in the indicated sequence. However, it should not be concluded that students will always proceed through their program of study exactly as prescribed here. The number of quarters listed here is minimal. Not all courses are offered every quarter. Individual student experiences, educational and training background, and personal schedules and demands all may affect the time it takes to finish this program. Also, in general, summer quarter is not considered one of the full-time quarters in the program.
1st quarter: IT 102, IT 122, IT 142
2nd quarter: IT 124, IT 135, IT 144
3rd quarter: IT 126, IT 146
What skills do I need to be successful in this field?
- http://www.onetonline.org/link/summary/15-1152.00 (Computer Network Support Specialists)
- http://www.onetonline.org/link/summary/15-1142.00 (Network and Computer Systems Administrators)
What are some potential job titles?
- Network Manager
- Information Technology (IT) Specialist
- Systems Administrator
Wages, employment trends and pathways
NSC Advising Office
Robert Bunge (206) 934-4530