- 1. Student will establish or improve an early childhood learning environment using principles selected from classes (research, ECE theories and their life experiences).
- 2. Student will observe actions, language, and social behavior of young children in an Early Childhood Education classroom, assess children’s skills and behavior based on developmentally appropriate practices, and report their findings.
- 3. Critique organization and implementation of classroom processes in an early learning setting, identify concerns evident in the classroom, and formulate solutions to address these concerns.
- 4. Provide parent education and encourage parental participation in early learning experiences with their own and other children through opportunities offered at the early learning setting.
|Course Number||General Education Requirements (20 credits)||Credit hours|
|Computation or Quantitative Elective: Math at 100 level or above, or ACCT 110||5|
|Human Relations Elective: BUS 236, HUM 105, ISP 101, ISP 110, POLS 112, SOC& 101||5|
|Five credits must be selected from an approved list of US Culture or Global Studies courses.||5|
|Course Number||Degree Requirements (56 credits)||Credit hours|
|ECED&105||Introduction to ECE||5|
|ECED&107||Health, Safety and Nutrition||5|
|ECED&120||Practicum: Nurturing Relationships||2|
|ECED&132||Infants and Toddlers||3|
|ECED&180||Language and Literacy Development||3|
|ECED&190||Observing and Assessment||3|
|EDUC&150||Child, Family, and Community||3|
|TBD||Practicum- Instructional Interactions||5|
|TBD||Math and Science Methods||5|
|Course Number||Degree Electives (14 credits of the following)||Credit hours|
|CCE145||Music and Creative Expression||4|
|CCE195||Art for Young Children||3|
|CCE200||Children and Nature||3|
|CCE261||Readings in Early Childhood Education||1-6|
|ECED&134||Family Child Care||3|
|EDUC&136||Introduction to Education with Field Experience||5|
ComputationThese courses are currently approved to fulfill the Quantitative/Symbolic Reasoning requirement of the AA degree. Please check with your advisor for recommendations and special conditions that may apply.
Global StudiesThese courses are currently approved to fulfill the Global Studies requirement of the AA degree. Please check with your advisor for recommendations and special conditions that may apply.
Human Relations CoursesThese courses are currently approved to fulfill the Human Relations requirement for this specific degree. Please check with your advisor for recommendations and special conditions that may apply.
Living WorldContact your advisor for current list of approved classes.
US CulturesThese courses are currently approved to fulfill US Cultures requirement of the AA degree. Please check with your advisor for recommendations and special conditions that may apply.
What Skills do I need to be successful in this field?
To be successful in early childhood education you need to appreciate children, their families, and develop the abilities to use observation and assessment in order to plan and implement developmentally appropriate curriculum that meets the individual child’s needs. This is best accomplished through formal education and lifelong learning in ECE.
What are some potential job titles?
- Program Director
- ECEAP Family Support Specialist
- Child Care Center Lead Teacher
Wages, employment trends and pathways
Health & Human Services Division (206-934-3790)
Effective beginning: Fall 2011
Early Childhood Education Associate of Applied Science Degree
402B / 13.121