Climate Justice Project
Sign-Up for the Fall 2022 Climate Justice Institute
The next Climate Justice Faculty Institute sign up is open for registration (limited to 10 faculty).
Our students learn about climate change in many of our classes and then they are hungry for what to do with that knowledge and how to connect it within their careers and communities. Climate touches and belongs in every subject we teach, from Humanities (English, art, history, journalism, drama), to business, economics, health sciences, and all areas of STEM.
This project seeks to build bridges between our disciplines to help faculty incorporate climate justice and civic engagement into their core curriculum, in ways that empower students and encourages student retention and success. Faculty who take part in a Climate Justice Institute, or Workshop, will design an assignment, lesson, or module, that weaves climate justice and civic engagement into one or more of their classes. This project at North Seattle College is thanks to funding from the National Science Foundation, and additional support from the Office of Instruction and the Office for Equity, Diversity, and Inclusion at North Seattle College.
The resources linked and listed here come from a collaboration with faculty involved in the Climate Justice projects at the Seattle Colleges and Bellevue College and are an outgrowth of faculty institutes originally created at Curriculum for the Bioregion and a well-established Climate Justice curriculum program at Bellevue College, led by Dr. Sonya Doucette. Our two colleges are also collaborating on a newly awarded NSF IUSE grant called Climate Justice in Undergraduate STEM Incorporating Civic Engagement (C-JUSTICE).
Anyone with access to Canvas can access and utilize the curriculum created by faculty at University of Washington, North Seattle College, and Bellevue College at our Canvas Commons site: Climate Justice Curriculum Repository. And if you have climate justice lessons, assignments, and/or modules you’d like to share, please email Heather Price.
Recent and Upcoming Climate Justice Institutes, Workshops, and Presentations:
- Fall 2022, North Seattle College Climate Justice Faculty Institute, Facilitated by Heather Price (sign up here and for questions email email@example.com)
- March 2021, Climate Justice Integrated Learning: Examples from Humanities and STEM. Innovations Conference, Presented by Heather Price, Christie Santos, and Karlee Ikebara.
- Winter 2021, University of Washington Climate & Environmental Justice Curriculum Development course facilitated by Heather Price.
- October 2020, Integrating Climate Justice and Civic Engagement into your Classes, Curriculum for the Bioregion Conference, Presentation and Workshop by Sonya Remington-Doucette and Heather Price
- Summer 2020, North Seattle College Climate Justice Faculty Summer Institute, Facilitated by Heather Price Flyer
- July 2020, Climate Justice Across the Curriculum, Science Education for New Civic Engagements and Responsibilities (SENCER) Summer Institute, Presentation by Sonya Remington-Doucette and Heather Price
- September 2019, Seattle Colleges Convocation, Climate Justice Workshop facilitated by Heather Price
- Summer 2019, Bellevue College Climate Justice Summer Institute, facilitated by Sonya Remington-Doucette
April 2021, Climate Justice Integrated Learning: An Overview of the North Seattle College’s Climate Justice Across the Curriculum Project, invited talk at UCSB Climate Justice Symposium for Transforming Education, presented by Heather Price. Please see video below.
If you are faculty at North Seattle College or Bellevue College, please join the Climate Justice Learning Community or take part in the Climate Justice Curriculum Institute or a shorter-version workshop at your college to learn how to incorporate Climate Justice with Civic Engagement into your classes.
Find climate justice lessons at Canvas Commons.
Learn about Climate Justice Institute learn more here.