A study abroad scholarship is a monetary award to be used toward study abroad program expenses such as program fees, transportation (airfare, etc.), NSC tuition, travel insurance, and/or room and board while abroad.
Scholarship applications generally include a personal statement or a series of essay questions to be answered, letters of recommendation, transcripts, and general demographic information.
Completing scholarship applications will take time and effort, but remember there might be hundreds or thousands of dollars at stake!
North Seattle College - Go Abroad Scholarship
The NSC Go Abroad Scholarship offers scholarships ranging from $250-$1500 for students going on a NSC-affiliated program. The following are the requirements for the NSC Go Abroad Scholarship:
• Currently enrolled at NSC
• Must be at least 17 years old (18 for some programs)
• Minimum 2.5 GPA or better
• Have applied and been accepted to a NSC-affiliated program
• Submit a completed scholarship application form and related documents by the deadline
• To learn more about the scholarships and to pick up an application form, please visit the International Programs office or e-mail the study abroad coordinator at Virginia.Gabby@seattlecolleges.edu.
WCCCSA regularly offers one or two scholarships of up to $1000 for a quarter-long program and one or two $500 scholarships for a month-long program. Find out more about the scholarships offered through WCCCSA and how to here.
Global Impact Scholarship
Limited scholarship funding is available for students participating in a Global Impact program. Find out more about the scholarship and how to apply here.
Additional Scholarships and Grant Resources
There are many funding sources for study abroad. Students may be able to apply their college financial aid, apply for low-interest private bank loans, or apply for scholarships. The excellent Scholarship Resource Guide produced by StudyAbroad.com is very useful.
In addition, below are some helpful links to begin your search for funding:
• Benjamin A. Gilman International Scholarship
• Go Over Seas Grant and Scholarship Search
• Fund for Education Abroad
• Study in Japan: Bridging Scholarship
• Freeman Asia Scholarship
• German Academic Exchange Service
• IIE Study Abroad Scholarship and Grant Search
• Critical Language Scholarship
• DiversityAbroad.com Scholarship Search
• Joan Nelson Study Abroad Scholarship
• The National Italian American Foundation Scholarships
• The Honor Society of Phi Kappa Phi Study Abroad Grants