Preparation & Licensure
Certified public accountants must be licensed by the Washington State Board of Accountancy. Educational requirements to sit for the Uniform CPA Examination include:
• a 4-year degree in any discipline from an accredited U.S. college or university recognized by the Washington State Board of Accountancy.
• a total of 150 semester (225 quarter) college credits.
• 36 quarter credits in accounting including 22.5 credits of upper-level accounting courses.
• 36 quarter credits in other business courses. (Additional accounting courses over and above the 36 required quarter credits count as other business courses.)
Additional general licensing requirements include:
• being of good character (no history of dishonesty or felonies).
• passing a CPA examination.
• passing an ethics examination.
• 1 year of public, private or governmental accounting experience.
• 120 hours of continuing education for renewal.
For information on additional licensing requirements, contact:
Washington State Board of Accountancy http://www.cpaboard.wa.gov
With increased experience, CPAs can advance to jobs with greater responsibility and higher salaries.