Tips for Engaging with Different disabilities
- Not all disabilities are visible, such as heart disease, depression, or asthma.
- Many people have temporary disabilities which are equally as limiting as permanent disabilities.
- Not everyone with a disability wishes to discuss it or its limitations. Wait until you know an individual before asking personal questions.
People First Language and Disability Etiquette Resources
- A-Z of Disability Etiquette by Independence Australia.
- People First Language by Kathie Snow.
- Disability Language Style Guide by National Center on Disability and Journalism
- Writing and reporting about people with disabilities – “People First” Language from Mental Health America of Eastern Missouri
- Guidelines for non-handicapping language in APA Journals by the American Psychiatric Association