1. Demonstrate basic skills and techniques necessary to manage a retail workforce.
2. Utilize techniques and technology to budget, track, and report information associated with the activities of a retail environment.
3. Demonstrate effective communication, both written and verbal, with customers, suppliers, and employees.
|Course Number||Certificate Requirements (43 credits)||Credit Hours|
|course(BUS114)*||Introduction to Marketing (See Note 1)||5|
|course(BUS116)*||Business Math (See Note 2)||5|
|course(BUS119)*||Leadership & Management (See Note 3)||3|
|course(BUS169)||Using Computers In Business||5|
|course(BUS205)||Human Resource Management||5|
|course(BUS230)*||Business Communications (See Note 4)||5|
|course(BUS236)||Interpersonal Communications for the Workplace||5|
|course(ACCT110)||Introduction to Accounting/Bookkeeping||5|
1. Prerequisite: Eligible for English 101 through English Placement Test or completion of English 097/098.
2. Prerequisite: Math081 completion or placement in MATH084 or higher.
3. Prerequisite: BUS 169; BUS 236.
4. Prerequisite: BUS131 (ENG101 or equivalent may be substituted).
This program of study is outlined by quarter, and courses should be taken in the indicated sequence. However, it should not be concluded that students will always proceed through their program of study exactly as prescribed here. The number of quarters listed here is minimal. Not all courses are offered every quarter. Individual student experiences, educational and training background, and personal schedules and demands all may affect the time it takes to finish this program. Also, in general, summer quarter is not considered one of the full-time quarters in the program.
Most common sequence:
Fall (15 credits)
ACCT 110, BUS 169, BUS 230
Winter (15 credits)
BUS 114, BUS 116 , BUS 236
Spring (13 credits)
BUS 214, BUS 205, BUS 119
Please see annual schedule for when classes are offered. Generally, most classes are offered in various modalities (day, evening, and online) throughout the year. Evening courses are offered as hybrids and meet one evening per week. North also offers credit for prior learning on some courses. (Please contact program for more information.)
What Skills do I need to be successful in this field?
What are some potential job titles?
- • Store Manager
- • Area Manager
- • Floor Manager
Wages, employment trends and pathways
William (Bill) Holt (206) 934-4523