Check out these resources for insights into making your cover letters and resumes stand out and impressing potential employers when you interview.
We've designed these sample packets for North Seattle College students and graduates. They provide specific and detailed information on writing cover letters and resumes and interviewing successfully.
- Resume Packet: Information on action words, character traits, the ‘dos and don’ts’, three resume types and much more
- Resume Packet for English Language Learners: This packet contains the same information as the Resume Packet but is designed for English language learners; it contains additional cultural and language information.
- Cover Letter Packet: Cover letter tips and examples
- Interview Skills Packet: Interviews can be difficult, but they are arguably the most important part of the hiring process. Learn about the ‘dos and don’ts’, what to wear, what to say, the questions you might be asked and what to prepare beforehand.
- Interview Skills Packet for English Language Learners: This packet contains the same information as the Interview Skills Packet but is designed for English language learners; it contains additional cultural and language information.
If you still need or want help, WorkSource (located in the OCE&E building) is a great resource for resume building, basic software workshops and other job search/ employment tools.
Online resources can provide you with ideas, guidance and inspiration. Many sites are both helpful and FREE. However, we caution you against paying an online service to build your resume. Try stopping by the WorkSource office first!
- Go2worksource.com: Great site for additional resume tips
- Quintcareers.com: Job search advice including resume and cover letter samples
- Resume, Cover Letter, and Interviewing Tips from Susan Ireland: This comprehensive website provides free advice and samples and is available en español.
- The Riley Guide: An up-to-date, comprehensive career and job search guide as well as a collection of resume, cover letter and interview guidelines
- University of Arkansas Career Development Online Presentations: Online presentations covering a wide range of topics, from How to Work a Job Fair to Telephone Interviews and Negotiating Job Offers
- 25 Tips for Better Resumes and Cover Letters: A short and sweet guide to writing a strong resume. Site also includes advice on cover letters, interviewing, job search, etc.
- Dressing for Success from About.com: Tips for dressing for the interview