We currently do not have any additional in-person START New Student Orientations scheduled for students planning to begin Spring quarter 2017.
If you still need to complete an Orientation, please do the following:
Step 1: Complete the Online Orientation
Step 2: Come to Drop-In Advising before classes begin on Monday, April 3rd
Students planning to complete a college transfer degree (Associate of Arts, Associate in Business or Associate of Science) or a professional-technical degree or certificate who have not previously attended college are required to attend a START Orientation.
At START New Student Orientation you will:
- Meet with an Advisor to plan your schedule
- Identify your program of study
- Register for classes
- Explore options to fund your education
- Discover resources & services available to support your educational goals
- Participate in a campus tour
- Become familiar with Student Online Services
- Learn about opportunities to get involved outside the classroom
- Get to know other students and staff
To register for classes, students who have not completed college-level English or math or taken the Compass placement test at another institution within 2 years for English or 1 year for math are required to take the Compass placement test at NSC. Be sure to bring your English and math test placement test scores with you to the START Orientation. If you have attended or taken the placement test at another college, bring an unofficial copy of your transcript or test scores to orientation.
- If you are/were a Seattle Public Schools High School student, you may be able to use your high school transcript in order to place into intermediate algebra or college level math. For more information, please refer to our placement test scores page.
- Students may also choose to use their qualifying ACT/SAT test scores for English and math placement. For more information, please refer to our placement test scores page.
If you are not able to attend an in-person orientation or have attended a college before coming to NSC, you may take the orientation online. See the Welcome section for instructions on how to work through the process online.
Students in the programs below have their own orientations.
- Health and Human Services programs
- Running Start
- Career Training/Workforce Education
- International Programs
- Basic Skills (GED, ABE and ESL)
Review upcoming orientation dates and sign up below.
Students starting Fall Quarter may attend a summer orientation session.